Working Hours



Switchboard +420 597 371 111

+420 597  371  111
+420 738  141  111



At the very beginning of nowadays University Hospital in Ostrava was a small hospital built together by local communities of Vítkovice and Zábřeh nad Odrou. Vladimír Hradečný MD was a principal initiator of its construction. The hospital was open in 1912. During the first World War, it has become the centre of anti-epidemic health effort providing care for a large region threatened with difficult war and post-war epidemies.

The twenties

The hospital was nationalized in 1921, but the foundation stone of the large state hospital, which was supposed to be a top health care institution serving Ostrava and vicinity, was laid solemnly in 1929.

The thirties

Over the subsequent ten years, these new buildings, containing the departments of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Internal Medicine, Surgery, have been built, as well as an Administration building.

The building of the Surgery Department has been finished during the second World War in 1940.

The fourties

In November 1942, the entire new part of the hospital has been taken over by Germans and a military hospital was established there. The hospital was bombed by the end of the war, and 24 bombs heavily damaged the Departments of Internal Medicine and Surgery including other buildings. The Germans left the hospital after the bombing, they took away everything what could have been used, though. The emergency functioning wards have been re-opened after many months after the war .

The fifties

A new Act on integrated preventive and medical care passed at the end of 1951. The hospital in Zábřeh has become Krajský ústav národního zdraví (Regional institute for public health) since 1. 1. 1952. New departments, such as Ophthalmology, Neurology, Otorhinolaryngology and Burn Treatment were established.

The sixties

More new buildings with departments of Pathology, Infectious Diseases, etc. were constructed after 1960. These partial arrangements were not enough to establish a leading convenient hospital in the region suitable for all demands. After many negotiations, a decision has been made to build a new medical institution: a comprehensive hospital service including an outpatient department. The first department to open was a new transfusion centre in 1965.


New buildings with Departments of Infectious Diseases, Radiotherapy, Pulmonary and Outpatient were opened in Ostrava-Poruba in 1973.


The decision to finish construction of a large hospital compact building with 750 beds.

The nineties

The implementation of the Public Health Minister's resolution of 8 April 1992 has changed the hospital status into the University Hospital Ostrava linked to the University of Ostrava, the Faculty of Health Studies which was called the Medical-Social Faculty up to September 2008.

The new compact building was open at the end of 1994. The most clinics and departments were moved out of Zábřeh.

A new Clinic for Children Medicine was open on 19 April 1999.


Clinic of Obstetric and Gynecology was open at the end of the year 2001.


The University Hospital Ostrava was completed after moving in the Institute for Forensic Medicine in 2005.


Where you can find us?


Fakultní nemocnice Ostrava
17. listopadu 1790, 708 52 Ostrava-Poruba
GPS: 49° 49' 36" N / 18° 09' 40" E
Phone: +420 597 371 111, E-mail:

Visiting hours

Each day from 3.00 p.m. to 6.00  p.m.

Map of the Premises